Thursday, December 2, 2010

30-Day Writing Meme


12. In what story did you feel you did the best job of world building? Any side-notes on it you'd like to share?

That's actually a tough question. For my original worlds, Daemon's is probably the most developed around him. I had ideas of not only who he was, but who everyone around him was and their stories. For example he frequents a bar, and I wrote a back story for the bartender who was a female vampire with a penchant for changing her image. For my own use I wrote up little bios about her and all the others he came in contact with, including places.

However, I'd say that of my writing as a whole my best world building happened in my fan fiction stories. Granted in those you start with a baseline, but I've gone above and beyond in those stories. For example my Sailor Moon fan fiction spans several generations. The main story deals with Princess Serenity/Usagi/Neo Queen Serenity (three different lives right there!), but there is also a separate story for her mother when she was young. I created mythology to explain what is present in the canon as well as my own story, and even wrote shorts on the original founders discussed in the mythology. Every planet is fully defined, and every character specified down to their favorite color and shoe size. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment