Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tattoo!

On Saturday I went to my absolute favorite tattoo artist (and my only tattoo artist) to have a new piece done on the inside of my left arm. I mentioned before the subject matter was dorky, well... I got a piece of Naoko Takeuchi's Sailor Moon art! :)

I mulled over the decision for a while, as there are just so many beautiful pieces of her work from the manga. I looked at all the weapons, the broaches, and some of the other sailor scouts' items. In the end though I knew I wanted something from Sailor Moon, and I wanted it to be a weapon that would flow with the design space. So I picked one of my favorites, her Moon Kaleidoscope.


In the manga, Usagi (Sailor Moon) goes to see the Dark Moon Circus with her boyfriend Mamoru (Tuxedo Mask) and their future daughter Rini (Sailor Chibi Moon). While they are there, Mamoru buys both the girls pretty glass kaleidoscopes. When evil attacks, the kaleidoscopes are turned into weapons by Pegasus.

I have always liked their design as they are glass, and very delicate. The center piece is so transparent you can see some of the decorations that circle around the other side through it. :)

So I took that piece to my tattoo artist, and after an hour we ended up with this:

It's still red in this picture, and the shading is not as grey as it will be (blood gets in the shading so it turns brown while it heals), but I love it. It's delicate and beautiful, and my artist did a great job. :)

As always I credit the wonderful Mark Hesse from Scorpion Tattooing with doing this beautiful work.

No comments:

Post a Comment