Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Contract

I don't have many animes that I really like. More often than not I'm a manga girl. The few exceptions are either those from my childhood (like Sailor Moon) or ones I've seen recently and liked (Ghost Hunt). One example of the latter is Black Butler, or Kuroshitsuji. The story line is intriguing, and who doesn't love a demon?

In light of Uri's anniversary, I was discussing his arrival with a friend today. It struck me as funny that I have a "contract" with Uri in somewhat of a similar way as Ciel does with Sebastian.* No, I haven't sold my soul to the devil; just to a doll with a boot fetish. :P

In all seriousness, when I first took Uri out of the box (just his head mind you), I thought he looked absolutely forlorn. Just as sad as a doll could be. I picked up his little head and looked into his then green eyes, and made him a promise. I promised him that I would give him a home; a real, loving home. I would take care of him to the very best of my abilities, and he wouldn't want for anything ever again. In return I asked for him to do the same, as much as he could.

It was in that moment that he really smiled for the first time, and I got his name. I've mentioned before that Uri gave me a name for himself, one I'm not sure is mine to share. In any event though, it is one he gave me that symbolizes our connection, and I still use to this day.

Since then, Uri has been unlike any doll I've ever had. He has so much personality, and he really puts up with a lot from me. Just this evening I decided to paint his nails, so he sat for an hour or so with paintbrushes holding his elastic at the wrists and ankles. Not exactly the most fun thing, but all through it he smiled.

The fascinating number of supernatural instances I've had with him also come to mind, more than any other doll. Just yesterday I had a very odd experience, which I will shortly write about in a "Haunted Vessel" post that illustrates this point very well. He takes care of me, and I take care of him. So no, I didn't give up an eye** or anything, but we do have a contract.

*Ceil Phantomhive is a young man of noble blood who loses his whole family and home as a young child. He makes a contract with Sebastian, a devil, to help him get back everything he's lost. In return Sebastian receives his soul.
**In Kuroshitsuji they explain that a contract between man and devil has to be sealed with a symbol. The closer the symbol is to the eye the stronger the bond. Ceil has the seal placed directly on his eye, giving it up in return for the strongest contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment