Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Professor Nowell


Nowell comes pretty much everywhere with me, school being no exception. I've finally gotten to the point where I really don't care what people think of a grown woman carrying a doll around, so he hangs out fairly visibly in my purse. My Tuesday/Thursday class is one of my favorite psychology classes (with my favorite professor), and the students have gotten used to seeing Nowell around in various wigs/outfits. I used him as a bit of an experiment on inattentional blindness* at one point, and since then he's sort of been adopted as the class mascot. Everyone asks after him. :)

Today a friend was giving a presentation on imagination, creativity, and consciousness, and I jokingly offered Nowell up for an "assistant." She then asked if she could use him, if I mind if he sat on the desk while she presented! So I sat him down and put his hand up in a waving pose. The students filed in and looked at him, and the professor loved him. I offered to put him away until it was presentation time, but he said no, he wanted Nowell to sit right there. He kept saying Nowell looked so happy and inviting.

So Nowell got to play professor for a day, which makes me giggle. He looked so adorable, had his biggest smile on. :)

*Inattentional blindness- This describes people's blindness to things they aren't looking for. So essentially if you're not paying attention to some particular aspect, you won't see it. Since people don't generally look for/expect to see dolls like mine, they literally don't see them, despite them being obvious and in their face.

No comments:

Post a Comment