Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dolly Talk: The Color Question


When I first saw Nowell in the DoA market place, I knew instantly he was special and would be part of my dolly family someday. The only question in my mind was about his color. My first doll (RS Ju) was white skin, and despite my initial love of her coloring, it became something I truly disliked quickly. So when I received Nowell I was a little apprehensive. Would he be too white? How would he fit in with the rest of my NS dolls?

Needless to say I love him, and his coloring is surprisingly a part of it. I think they key is correct blushing/highlighting of certain areas. Or maybe it's just the magic of Volks. :P Either way his pale color gives him this ethereal look at times, but isn't so obvious all the time to bother me.

This brings up something that I think every potential doll owner should consider before they buy any doll, but especially their first. The skin color! I know it seems obvious, but it can be more complicated than one might think. Normal skin, white skin, tan skin, purple/blue/grey etc. resin? How does it yellow (will it turn yellow or even green)?

As I mentioned my first doll was WS, and while I loved her paleness originally it didn't last. I will say that I should have done more research about everything before buying, but definitely about her coloring. I found that that particular white skin was just too unnatural for me and not versatile enough. Eventually I ended up dying her tan, which still didn't quite work for me. So it's important to consider the color in the long run.

Also, every doll will yellow over time, so keep that in mind. Depending on the company and original color, this can mean many different things. Normal skins (pink, yellow, and normal) will usually go a bit yellow though to differing degrees. Uri for example is a Delf El Type 1 and he is definitely an almost buttery yellow. Very noticeable, but I like it so it doesn't bother me. White skin will either yellow or even go green. Nowell has yellowed, but he turned a more creamy yellow, almost like off-white paper. I know of some CP dolls in white skin that go green. Tan also yellows in different ways, most notably a lot of it can go green as well.

Which brings me to another important point: colored resin. Some resin is colored through and through, while others are just colored through the first few layers. That's why sanding colored or tanned dolls isn't always advisable. Once you sand off the top layer you will end up with a lighter or different-colored resin beneath, making for a blotchy doll. So keep that in mind too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment