Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dolly Talk: The Roles We Play


I have come to notice that once my dolls go through their initial adjustment phase of arriving and bonding, they quickly settle into their own particular roles. I spent this weekend setting up the dollies in their own space, and as I sorted through everything I got a clearer picture of these roles. Since they are currently sorted by shelves, I will use that as the order for this discussion.

Top floor: The hobbit Dals! These boys (Frodo and Sam) came in earlier this week, and as such are the newest members of the Pack. They are primarily show dolls, which is unusual for me. However they are a little fragile and were specially customized, so they will remain in their soon-to-be hobbit home most of the time.

Second floor: The Pullips! Here we have Kaleb, Arte, Maggie, Jouet, and Katerina for good measure (Bleeding Edge Goth). Eventually Wolf (Namu Wolf) and Ciel (Dal from Kuroshitsuji) will join them as well, making things a little cramped I'm sure. These guys are mostly shelf dolls/occasional play dolls now. I will probably be taking some of the Dals out more than the others as they are smaller, but I worry about the strength of the bodies and all the tiny accessories. Plus I've found that I prefer to carry bjd's rather than Pullips.

First floor: The BJD Den. Here we have Uriel, Drusilla, Azkadellia, Faolan, and Michael the floating head. Faolan and Michael are separated from the rest as they are more in process/not in play right now.

Uriel is my snuggle-bug, mostly for "home use" now. His size and now unusual appearance make him a little too much for public outings. However he has a lovely, protective presence in person. Definitely the boy I watch horror movies with or take out when I'm particularly stressed. My lovely fallen angel. :)

Drusilla is currently sitting on Uri's lap, looking ever so cute. She's kind of an odd doll match for me. She is beautiful, and we click some times, but then others I'm not sure what to do with her. Not that she's going anywhere, but at times it seems she's here less for me and more for herself if that makes sense.

Azkadellia- My newest bjd baby and definitely one of the cutest. This girl has such a lovely personality now despite how she arrived and all the stress that trade caused. I augmented her face up a bit and added her chest tattoos, and now she's just perfect. I do need more clothes for her, and also kind of wish her body was different, but we can see about that some other time. She's just too cute not to love.

And finally we have Nowell. I intentionally didn't include him in the above organization because although he belongs on the first floor, he hasn't really been there at all. Nowell is apparently that doll who will be with me more often than not. He comes to school, to work, snuggles up in bed with me, and is usually in the room if not in my lap. His role seems to be staying by my side. Where Uriel seems happy to have my company when I'm free and inclined, Nowell appears to always want it. I have my suspicions for this, some of which involve him being a Volks doll, but that is a discussion for another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment