Sunday, November 21, 2010

Character Questions


In my last entry I mentioned one of the odd facets of writing, which is not always knowing everything. I know it might sound odd, but the more I write the more I realize I just don't know. Why a particular character is the way he is, or even what he's doing in the story! We discussed it often in a writing class I took last semester, and while its not exactly bad it can be frustrating.

Right now I'm working on Nowell's story and I can't figure out why he isn't close to his father Renato. I know that he is stuck like glue to Cain, and wants desperately to be a Tin Man. But why isn't Renato his role model? It might just be that I'm in a funny mood, but I feel like I need to know. Is he dead? Missing in action? Just away too much on business? Ever time I begin to write a scene with him in it, I just get stumped.

Death would explain his absence, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to kill off a character so lightly as that. Granted if we go with the "I don't know" theory, maybe he's already dead and I'll just find out later. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment