Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Wig Making

I did purchase a wig for St. Christopher while I was waiting for her to arrive, but I also started making a wig. It was done with a self-made hard cap base, and brushed out yarn. I'm not always a huge fan of yarn wigs, depending upon how they look. However, this was a great way to make a wig, and it came out even better than I thought for my first time attempting it.

Essentially what you do is cover the doll in plastic to protect them, and then stretch a thin fabric over the head and rubber band it down. You add layers of glue (I used modge podge) over this to harden the cap, and can eventually cut away the excess. From there you would add your yarn wefts (made by brushing out and sometimes flatironing the yarn) with the same glue. There are some great tutorials out there including this one on Youtube.


Here is my finished product!




I will definitely be doing this again as I'm really pleased with how this came out. Even more so because her head seems to be an odd size, and the wig I purchased (and literally every wig in the house) is too big. She is just over the 8inch size, but an 8-9 wig is much too big for her while 7-8 may be too small. This is a much better, if time consuming, solution to the problem.



No comments:

Post a Comment