Wednesday, April 16, 2014

BJD Meme

What are the names and sculpts of the dolls you have at home?
Fumiko (Volks DD H-04 on Obitsu 60 bjd body)
Ghost/Emmanuel (Volks F-10 on SD 13 body)
Uriel (Delf El)
Liam (Volks YoSD Yuki)
Gabriel (Volks Arashi)
Nowell (Volks MSD F-17)
How do you choose names for your dolls?
 In general I usually pick a name that comes to me when I first get the doll.  Uriel for example was a name that kept popping up in my head over and over without me having to search for it.  Nowell and Emmanuel both come from a Tori Amos album.  Liam and Gabriel were chosen in part for their stories, as all the dolls' names are in some respect.  I try to make sure that whatever name I pick factors into their character and story as well.
Fumiko is the only one whose name is sort of out of left field.  I had wanted my DD to have a Japanese name at the time, and I came across Fumiko sort of by chance.  It doesn't really work with any story line I've toyed with for her, so I'm still figuring out what I want to do with that.

Do you keep your doll boxes?


Not generally, no. I have one or two Volks boxes to store clothes in, but that's about it.

What’s the first thing that draws you to a head sculpt?
Good question! I'm not sure there's one generic feature I look for.  I tend to like somewhat strange looking dolls, or ones that aren't as popular.  Take Fumi's head for example, it is certainly not the most popular of DD head molds.  And initially I didn't really love it either.  But over time it really grew on me, and I came to love her sweet smile.
What are your doll plans for this year?
I'd venture to say no more dolls, as I really don't have the room or desire for more.  I do however want to get some more clothes for everyone.  Fumi in particular needs clothes that fit her.  I'm also working on some cosplays for her and I to wear at AAC this year, so that's going to be a big project.
How do you look at your dolls? Are they just dolls to you or do you treat them as something more than that?
To me they are more than just dolls, which is something I've touched on here before.  So I try to treat them with the respect that entails.
Do you normally order dolls with face-ups or without face-ups?
Of the dolls I've ordered direct from the company, only one had a face up (she was limited).  Generally my dolls come with face ups, but I will always do my own once they get to me (aside from Liam).  The process is part of the initial bonding, and getting them to match their character or a particular style I've created for them.
Do you think your characters resemble you (personality, quirks or appearance)? Which ones and how so?
To an extent some of them do.  Early on Daemon was definitely me, after a fashion.  Which in part is why his character didn't really work. He was too much of a "Mary Sue" as it were, which made his story and character kind of boring to write about.  He wasn't very well developed or interesting.

Now, some of my characters may have shades of me in them, but they are definitely not me.  Ghost does have a connection to a town I love, and my own love of the paranormal, but not in the same way.  He is his own full-fledged character, without my own wishes or desires to shape him.  I like to joke that when you start to argue with your own character, then they are definitely their own person.  At this point most of my characters have their own way of reacting to and dealing with things that differs from my own, but is very much them.
When you’re not playing with your dolls, are they naked or clothed?
Clothed!  With the occasional exception, I like to have them clothed and wigged when they're not being played with.  Right now they're all set up in the corner of my room with clothes and wigs on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment