Sunday, June 16, 2013

My first foray into additive modifications!

I'm not sure what possessed me to suddenly want to do this, but out of the blue the other day I thought "You know, it would be nice if Uri had pointy ears..." Canonically (in my stories) I've toyed with Uri's appearance, and thought it would be fitting to give him pointy ears.  It's not something that was ever particularly important, but I liked the image of a little pointy-eared devil.

I have never attempted additive modifications before, so this was a little daunting.  I've done all kinds of sanding, painting, carving, eye opening, and such on dolls before.  But the nature of additive modifications is different.  Different potential for messing up, and requiring supplies I have never used.

I ended up buying some Milliput Superfine White sculpting putty, and going to town on Uri's ears.  I was initially looking for a different compound to work with, but this one worked surprisingly well.  Essentially you are provided with two different compounds (they look like rolls of clay) which you mix together for a certain amount of time.  Once mixed, the putty goes from tacky, to moldable, to rubbery, to rock hard (within 24 hours).  I sculpted on some ears for Uri, measuring out two small balls of clay that were the same size.  I went for slightly thicker ears because I was afraid of them getting chipped or breaking off if they were thinner.

The package suggested using some water both on your gloves/tools, as well as on the putty itself to smooth it out.  I completely recommend this.  I had read about Milliput before, and found that some people thought it was too dry/crumbly in comparison to other sculpting mediums.  However, if you throw a little water on your gloves while mixing, and fold it in, it is the perfect consistency.  The same goes for smoothing out things like fingerprints or cracks.  Just dip your finger in water (or a tool I suppose), and slide it over the surface.  It will get a watery film, but it will also smooth out.  You can actually do this up to an our or more later, in my experience.

Twenty-four hours later they were very solid and ready for some light sanding and painting.  I used a sandpaper with a grit of 220, which is very, very fine.  The Milluput sanded quite nicely, and I also did a little sanding of some resin as well to smooth out the appearance.  I then mixed paints and colored the ears as close to his resin as I could, and it's pretty accurate.  I'm sure that color matching and using an airbrush would be superior, but I worked with acrylics myself.

So now for some images!  The mods are not perfect, this I realize.  They could be improved upon, but I love them.  Uri has always been a bit of a guinea pig, and despite the trial and error, I enjoy the results.















No comments:

Post a Comment