Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary.

My music buying goes in a pattern of splurges and droughts, at times going weeks or even months without buying anything only to buy several at once. That happened this past weekend, and of all the albums I purchased my favorite by far is the newest My Chemical Romance (MCR) album "Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys."

I was actually turned on to this album on DoA of all places, coming across a box opening where the owner mentioned the album and it's theme. Danger Days is an album chronicling the resistance of the Killjoys in a post apocalyptic world circa 2019. Since I have a weakness for post apocalyptic stories, I just had to check it out.

I am a fan of MCR's older albums, and even saw them when they first came out. They opened for another band in a big venue, but despite being the "new guys," they were amazing. The way they played an interacted with the crowd was fantastic, and I remember thinking they were even better than the headliners! Since then I've had sort of an off and on relationship with their music, buying some CDs or just some songs.

I actually previewed Danger Days before it came out, but at the time I didn't hear a lot I liked. I blame that on bad reviews and poor iTunes sampling, because after listening to the album in person I'm hooked. Easily the best album I've bought in a very long time, and in my opinion one of their best thus far.

The band all have their own Killjoy alter egos through which they fight the evil Better Living Industries (BL Ind. I see what you did there). The latter is a corporate organization aiming to turn the remaining survivors into drugged up zombies who will be as compliant as they want. Needless to say our heroes just can't abide by this, and so they fight back. The videos have a very neat feel to them, showcasing a sort of Mad Max meets punk rock kind of look with laser guns. Go figure.

In a round about way that brings me back to my dolls (you knew it was coming) because there's a thread on DoA for Killjoy dolls, so I decided to create a persona for Uriel. He's still Uri; the flirtatious and at times a bit unstable demon, but I'm also working on an outfit and some weapons for his alter ego. I'm still toying with his name, as that's important in the world of Killjoys, but it should be finalized soon. I hope to post his shoots on MCR's new fan forum as they have a very cool art section just for that purpose. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment