Saturday, March 5, 2011

Frustration


I have been very lucky as a doll owner, in that I haven't experienced a lot of prejudice regarding my dolls. Yes, I do have a boyfriend who is less than appreciative, but he isn't outright anti-doll. I know many other collectors have experienced things like verbal abuse and at times even threatened violence, but I have been lucky to escape this for the most part.

This may be due to the fact that I'm rather careful with my dolls as to when and where I bring them, as well as what they look like. Uri for example wears masculine clothes when we go out, unless we're going some place special. While I may love him in a dress, it's not always the best choice. It's hard enough for people to accept a large stylized doll, let alone a large stylized male doll in a dress. So I'm careful.

My mother is one of the people in my family who really doesn't like my dolls. She has been verbal about it on more than one occasion, suggesting my dolls are evil (semantics really :P) and disturbing. However tonight took the cake.

Uri is wearing a dress, the very pretty Victorian-styled one pictured above. I love him in it. I like to joke that you can always tell when I've had a bad week, because Uri is in a dress. He looks beautiful, and I love to dress him up. As I often say it's not that I want a female doll I don't have, because Uri full fills that need. :)

We had just finished a movie and my mother turned over to ask me something and suddenly said, "Why is your male doll wearing a dress? That's just gross!" Now this is a woman who is a self-proclaimed accepting individual with friends of every race, gender, and sexuality. I wonder what her friends would say if they heard that comment? I think my face must have said it all because she immediately said "sorry." Still...it's frustrating.

I know this is a hotly debated topic in the doll world, why get offended when someone says the obvious? I.e. your male doll is dressed like a female, why be offended? I honestly don't mind Uri being called a female as I've said before. His character is essentially gender-less, or perhaps between genders (despite my use of male pronouns). So that distinction really doesn't bother me. But outright disgust and rude comments?

I'm the one playing with dolls people, but you need to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment