Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Moving Content Over: Interview with a Vampire Part II-Kaleb

Me: So tell me about your sire.

Kaleb: Ah yes, good old Micah. *laugh* He was a European vampire, and a complete court-bound fop.

Me: That’s not very nice.

Kaleb: Perhaps, but it’s also true. If I may, let me start by explaining something about vampire culture.

Me: By all means, you are the expert here.

Kaleb: Thank you. If you look back at the living habits of the earliest vampires, you’d find that unlike those of today they lived and moved in relative solitude. One or two vampires might be able to feed on a town unnoticed, but any more would surely bring the wrath of angry people down upon them. As such, at that time you’d see maybe two or three at the most living together.

Me: That makes sense I suppose.

Kaleb: Then an Italian vampire named Pietro di Angelo reorganized his own “children” into a communal group that became known as a coven. When anyone was added to his bloodline they were expected to swear allegiance to him and his court. Pietro was a very powerful and old vampire, and was considered a “founding father” of sorts for our species. So when he created this new system, it spread quickly through all the powerful vampire groups.

At the time I was turned, this coven-culture was well established and revered. Few vampires could or would exist outside of it, and my sire was no exception. Micah was a blood-descendant of Pietro, and that was really his only saving grace. He was a weak and foolish man, but very powerful blood ran through those veins.

I stumbled upon his court after I was enticed by one of his many female “lures,” and made my proposition. Micah liked me, though if it was for my power or my face I’m not sure. However, either way he turned me and held the traditional covening ceremony.

Me: I wouldn’t expect you to be the kind of person to submit to that.

Kaleb: And you’d be right. When it came time for me to swear the sacred oaths, I refused. Micah was livid, he tried to force me using what little power he had, but I was much too strong. I would not submit to anyone, especially not one as weak as he. So I left and never returned. Later Micah swore he had banned me, but the truth was plain for all those that knew me.

Me: So that’s why you two don’t get along? Do you ever run across one another?

Kaleb: Yes, and infrequently. We both try to avoid each other as much as possible. In private he continues to invite me back, but I have always refused. I am my own man, and nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment