Friday, August 27, 2010

Dolly Talk: Nero Review

I've missed doing Dolly Talk* quite a bit, though time doesn't always allow for it. Since I've also not done much in the way of reviews, I thought I'd combine the two for my first DT in a long time.

As you can see in the Muses section of the blog, my newest doll is Arte, a Pullip Nero. She was released back in May of 2004, and I first became acquainted with her on Requiem Art's All My Pullips. After realizing she was actually quite stock, I came up with some dolly funds and bought her off PullipStyle.

Stock clothes: Nicely made and I like the accessories quite a bit (sunglasses, purse, white boots), but my Arte will probably not wear a lot of her stock. The tights and little black panties are pretty cute though, so they will probably be reused. As a note, I rebodied my girl onto a SBH-L body (large chest soft bodied Obitsu) and her stock still fits. The top is a bit tight, but closes correctly and doesn't pull the fabric too much.

Stock faceup: This was the biggest selling point for me as I loved her soft makeup and pale lips. I prefer softer lips on my dolls, and this was just perfect. I will say that mine came with a lot of extra dirt/spots on the face up although she was NRFB. Just the age I think.

Stock body: I was fully prepared to hate her stock body as I did with Maggie's, but it's actually not so horrible. I did immediately order her an Obitsu, but the few days that she was on her stock body weren't too bad. Pretty floppy and definitely not great for standing, and the staining/yellowing was horrible. She had the traditional tummy pop and melt from the two plastics coming in contact, but I actually liked the softness of her body.

Stock wig: Pretty, but in the worst condition of any doll wig I've ever received. I washed and condition it probably ten times or more, and it still was horrible. No amount of fixing was going to help so I just gave up and got her a new one.

Stock eyechips/mech: Worst. Eyemech. Ever. I had heard these were a pain in the butt to change, but I never thought it would be quite so bad. It took me forever! I had a hard time getting her wig and scalp off because the glue had aged so much, and even the eye chips themselves yellowed. I have since re-chipped her with some CoolCat chips that look great, but I dread opening her up again.

Overall I'd have to say I'm happy with my purchase, and I love Arte, but I would caution those purchasing older dolls. If you're not getting them to remain NRFB, keep in mind there will be some (many) defects. I'm pretty familiar with customizations on Pullips as well as other dolls, and I was still pretty challenged. However, the older dolls to have a charm all their own, so if you want a challenge, go for it!


*Dolly Talk was a feature on my old blog for doll-related posts of all kinds.

No comments:

Post a Comment