Thursday, February 16, 2012

An excerpt


I love when I have a character in writing or otherwise who comes through strongly. Bits and pieces of their storyline suddenly appear as if they were there all along. Gabriel is this kind of character to a fault, and this is a piece I wrote maybe a minute or so after I figured out his name. It has to do with when he told his parents he had become a vampire.
"Mama broke every piece of glass in the house that day. Even the decorative plates she had lined up in little rows in her sitting room. Father had to purchase a china set from the merchant down the street just so that they would have something to eat off of that night. Neither he nor mama ever spoke of it again, but that was the last time she called me by my given name. From the breaking of the glass, I was Gabriel."

No comments:

Post a Comment