Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Nowell is slowly becoming my dancing buddy.  Not that I dance with him, but as I design dance clothes, he is beginning to get more and more of his own.

Nowell has always been kind of a funny doll style-wise.  He is a kid, and I find myself often dressing him as such.  So while he can get away with the fairy coat for example, I really don't like him in leather pants.  Can't explain it other than to say it feels weird to me.

Today he's kind of pushing to the edge of what I feel is...appropriate for him? I just threw together some pieces and kind of liked it, so here he is.  Choker is from a fer, shirt is handmade to match one I own, and leggings are from Dollmore.

He also isn't a doll that I can put in dresses.  Uri will wear pretty much anything, but Nowell is a little more specific in his style, at least in things he won't wear.  So it's taken me a while to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Recently I started working on some dance costumes of my own, for various upcoming parties and such.  I've also been reworking my own wardrobe to include mostly a mix of mori girl and somewhat gothic pieces, because that's what I prefer to wear.  Nowell seems to have come along for the ride, and I find that I've been sketching up outfits and purchasing clothes that match some items I have.

I'm working on getting him a pair of black capri pants that look exactly like a pair of belly dancing pants I have.  He's got that lovely fairy coat already, and I'm working on developing a leather/fur belt for him.  Very tribal style, which is what I tend to wear as well.  I'm heading off this afternoon to pick up a few odds and ends for my outfit tomorrow (leather, rabbit fur, bells, etc.) and I think any leftovers will go to him.

Nowell's story, like that of Uri and eventually Paks, moves in separate arcs.  So there is his beginning as a child turned pseudo-zombie, and the early days of the world falling apart.  Then it progresses to the future time, after humanity has begun to rebuild.  It's in that second part that more of the steampunk/sepia fashion comes in to play.  Lately I only seem to want to dress him as the latter, probably because I am doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment