Thursday, January 31, 2013

Doll, doll, doll!


I didn't want to post anything about this until I figured out if it was actually going to happen or not, but it looks like I may be getting my "grail" doll.  I use quotation marks there because I never thought I would actually get one.  Not because of cost or limited availability, but more because I just didn't see myself getting any more dolls.  But...

If I had one "regret" about Uri, if you can even call it that, it's that he's not a Volks doll.  Now for clarification...I'm not saying Volks are better than anyone else.  I simply prefer Volks dolls over others.  Again, my preference, not a statement about the quality of any other dolls.  They have just been my goal since I got in the hobby, and the more I've experienced them, the more I realize they have the perfect feel for me.  My current collection is almost all Volks dolls, and I like the continuity of that.  Plus, if/when I go to Japan or the Volks store, I could only take Volks dolls with me.

So I decided to look for a substitute head for Uri that was a Volks model.  Ideally I wanted one of the four sisters molds, specifically Megu.  Technically they are all the same face sculpt with different aesthetics, but I always think of them as Megu.  She has been my Volks love forever.  I almost ordered one a few years ago from Volks directly, but ended up not doing so because of the cost.  And yeah, even the heads on the after market are quite expensive.

I had almost give up hope when I saw a thread for on old four sister's head on a boy body.  Old, yellowed, bit of damage, but still lovely and reasonably priced.  So I PMed the seller and waited.  She just got back to me a little bit ago, and it looks like he's still available, so I'm waiting on a shipping quote!

Now, for dolly plans...Ideally I want this to be another version of Uri.  I've done a small version of him once which I liked, but I've always wanted other big versions of him.  He's the only doll who is so interchangeable with looks that I think it can be pulled off.  Just get him the right eyes, do a matching face up, and I think we'll be in business.  I am not planning on replicating Uri's mods on the Volks head, but I think that with the face up that should be enough.  I would like to purchase a second pair of matching eyes, but for now I might use the originals or a spare pair depending on how things go.

I am not however completely against the notion that the doll might have a different character instead.  I figure it's best to leave things open just in case, that way I'm not surprised or disappointed if they go one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment