Sunday, November 17, 2013

Music of the Hobby

This post is brought to you by: writing something other than NaNo!  I did hit my word count before I allowed myself to do it though. ;)

Everything in my life has a soundtrack, dolls included.  I've written a bit about doll music before (here and here), but lately I've been exploring it again as I write about Ghost.  Uriel certainly has by far the most songs on his playlist, in part owing to him being the "oldest" as it were.  But Ghost is starting to catch up with him as I explore his story.

One album in particular that I've been listening to a lot while I write about him is one that oddly enough has special meaning for Nowell as well.  When I got Nowell, I was trying to decide what to name him, and I happened to be listening to Tori Amos' Christmas album at the time.  Specifically the song "What Child is this?/Nowell."  And that's where I took his name from.

For Ghost's story I've been listening to a lot of quiet music, sad songs, and things with very rich soundscapes.  This album fits the bill perfectly.  And it was funny because as I listened, I realize that I sort of got his name from it as well.  Ghost's birth name is Emmanuel, a name which just sort of came to me when I started writing his story.  But coincidentally, Tori also does a beautiful version of "Emmanuel" on this album.  So it seems that two of my Volks boys have taken their names from it. :)

If you have a chance to listen to this album, do it!  It's beautiful, both just as an album as well as a different spin on Christmas music.  I tend to keep it on rotation all year long, though it obviously gets more play this time of year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment