Thursday, March 21, 2013

Modding

I started some work on Ghost last night with my dremel and let's just say it didn't quite turn out as I hoped.  Actually the dremel work is nice, it's just the exacto knife I used prior to mark out the area messed it up.  However, nothing is damaged or irreparable.  Just in need of more work later. :)

This process made me realize just how easy it is to get discouraged when you make a mistake, especially in a medium where there is sort of no going back.  Technically I could sand him down all over, and/or use epoxy, but those require a lot more work than I'd like to do.

But it's true, when something art-wise doesn't go the way I'd like, it is upsetting.  Especially where my dolls are concerned.  I'll admit I put Ghost aside for the night with very mixed feelings.  Would I buy him another body?  Do that sanding/epoxy work?  Just stop taking him out until I figured what to do?  But by morning I had settled my mind, and realized that just about anything is fixable.  Hell, I remember a DoA thread where a doll head was hit by a car and subsequently repaired.  So this is really minimal.

Plus, the Volks SD10 (old) torso is a behemoth when it comes to resin thickness. I have a very, very long way to go before I'd risk any structural problems.  So I'm going to just take a breath, and go back to it when I get home.  You learn something new every day. :)  As for good news, the other marks I did without the exacto knife outline turned out exactly like I wanted.  So they at least give me the confidence to keep going.  It's been a while since I last used my dremel, but it's kind of like riding a bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment